🔕 🔔

Binding agent for pulled brisket croquettes?

Hey all,

I'm making some croquettes with pulled smoked brisket. The idea is that I'll smoke the meat, steam it, and then pull it apart before shaping it into balls, coating in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and deep frying.

I made them previously using mashed potato as a binder, which worked great, but the feedback was that it didn't look great - the white colour of the potato was off-putting and looked a bit like congealed fat.

I'm thinking that egg might be the way to go, or maybe arrowroot?

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks!

asked by BurntCream over 2 years ago

Egg, yes. Or possibly unflavored gelatin

This recipe for brisket latkes (potato pancakes with the cooked shredded meat incorporated into the batter) may be of interest, in itself or for its ratios of meat to potatoes.
Tabletmag.com/recipes-2/152508/pulled-brisket-latkes

C830e304 7708 4f5e 92a5 c58e8b0ac4d7  rye

Thanks - I tried egg and a tiny bit of flour and it worked perfectly!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Also, try using Panko instead of regular bread crumb.