How do you keep your homemade pickles crispy?

I am canning pickles (using pickling cucumbers) but last year they got soggy and weren't crisp at all. Any tricks of the trade?

asked by Beth over 3 years ago

kimhw

Pickle them the same day you pick them.

My parents would always add a grape leaf to the jar.

Nan
Nan

Do you have a recipe for pickles with the grape leaf

SusanKP

Add some black tea leaves to the brine. I used about 5 tea bags to 3 liters of pickles. If you have them try some grape leaves or horseradish leaves.

Midge

I recently subbed black tea for alum in sweet pickles (https://food52.com/recipes...), which discolored the pickles a bit but worked fine. I'm also fermenting sour pickles at the moment and added a few fig leaves to the crock. Will let you know how it turns out.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

The crispiest pickles I've made have been fermented. I once pickled 30 pounds of cucumbers, you read that correctly, that came out soft. I managed to use them all in relishes and sauces, but it took a year to eat them.

Brine the cucumbers for at least 12 hours before pickling.
Cut off the blossom end.
Process in a hot water bath, not boiling water. Generally, at normal altitudes, process for 30 minutes once the temperature reaches 185 degrees. It needs to remain at 180 - 185 degrees during the 30 minute processing time.
Hope this helps. ;o)

Brine ratio is 3/4 cup kosher salt to 2 gallons cold water. ;o)

Beth

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it.