🔕 🔔

Best flour for making focaccia?

I'm eager to try the focaccia featured today and not sure what kind of flour to use. I typically use King Arthur but not sure if I should use bread, pastry or other?

asked by Tempe over 2 years ago

I use King Arthur all purpose with great results. I also use King Arthur white whole wheat as a part of the flour amount in focaccia recipes.

Dcaf56be 4ef6 4780 84d1 1e354adf4ff9  stringio

I also use all purpose flour for focaccia. It's such a light and fluffy bread I think bread flour would be too dense.

I'm sure your King Arthur is fine. I've been successfully baking bread for decades, and have never used any of the specialty "bread flours." I first started using King Arthur flour when I moved to the East Coast, and I think they have fine products.

Use bread flour; its stronger gluten allows for more stretch, resulting in more and larger air holes, which you want in focaccia. I usually buy King Arthur, but any national brand of bread flour that hasn't been on the shelf too long should be fine. I bake artisanal and sandwich breads of all kinds, at least several times a week, and have been for quite a while (as in, decades). In my experience, using bread flour does make a difference with yeast doughs. ;o)

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I use King Arthur bread flour for focaccia. I like lots of chew in my focaccia. All-purpose flour would work, though.