A question about a recipe: Pizza Pockets

I have a question about the recipe "Pizza Pockets" from modest marce. What's the best way to seal the edges? I am constantly beset by gaping halves no matter how much I mash them together

• Posted by: Niknud
  • July 29, 2015
0d16d386 18cb 41c5 9cc9 bcb9ef07af33  edited hot pocket ii
Recipe question for: Pizza Pockets

HalfPint July 29, 2015

I would say "don't overfill with cheese" as tempting as that can be. To keep the seal intact, maybe brush a little beaten egg along the edge and then crimp with a fork. Also important, make small slashes or holes on the top of the pocket to let the steam vent out. This would help you avoid the 'blowouts' that leave gaping halves.

Niknud
Niknud July 30, 2015

That's the real tragedy - I didn't overstuff. A measly sprinkling. Maybe doing the egg wash inside of one of the square as PieceofLayerCake recommends.... I'll give it a whirl!

PieceOfLayerCake July 29, 2015

When I egg wash, I only brush one side since egg wash doesn't stick as well to more egg wash. Then I make sure I don't stretch the dough, if you stretch it, no amount of crimping or egg wash will prevent it from shrinking back, especially a relatively lean dough like this.

PieceOfLayerCake July 29, 2015

Btw.... "constantly beset by gaping halves" is going to find its way into my daily conversation from now on. Thank you.

Niknud
Niknud July 30, 2015

Clearly raising the bar in culinary dialogue....although I would have settled for neatly sealed edges. :)

boulangere July 29, 2015

Word to the wise: resist he urge to overfill. Here as with ravioli. Less is more.