Has anyone ever made a delicious vegan yellow cake?

I've never been able to (they always turn out dense with a coarse crumb). Do any of you have a killer recipe that I should try?

asked by Esvee about 3 years ago

I don't have a recipe, but I do have two substitutions that have worked on regular recipes with excellent results. Maybe use them to adapt a tasty regular yellow cake recipe for vegan eaters:
1) for eggs, substitue silken tofu in same volume, pureed before mixing with other wet ingredients. Thus, 2 large eggs, each 2 oz, needs 4 oz silken tofu as sub.
2) for butter, use extra virgin olive oil.
P.S. I have not found a vegan substitute for milk that gives equally good results in terms of taste or texture, so I would avoid a recipe that has milk.

another post script. as butter is about 80-82% fat, 16-17% water and 1-2% milk solids, use only 13 tbsp oil & 3 tbsp water for every cup of butter in the recipe.

Esvee

Thanks Nancy, that's great information!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I have a pretty good vegan vanilla cake.....but its really butter and egg yolks that make a yellow cake "yellow". Is that what you're looking for?

Esvee

I didn't realize that! Maybe a good white cake recipe should be what I'm looking for then...

Esvee

I mean vanilla cake! If you'd like to share your recipe I'd love to try it out!

Done! Let me know how it comes out. I've had to scale it down quite a bit and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how much batter it makes :-/. If you need to serve a specific number of people (i.e. more than 12), I would recommend doubling it and, worse comes to worse, you have a layer in the freezer at a moments notice!

Esvee

Where/how did you share the recipe?

I uploaded it to my profile here on the site.

Esvee

Thanks! This looks ideal!

I have never made one, but if I were going to do so, I would consult with renowned vegan baking teacher, Fran Costigan. I would google her.

Esvee

Thanks, I'll definitely look her up!

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks