Has anyone ever made a delicious vegan yellow cake?

I've never been able to (they always turn out dense with a coarse crumb). Do any of you have a killer recipe that I should try?

• Posted by: Esvee
  • August 6, 2015

Nancy August 7, 2015

I don't have a recipe, but I do have two substitutions that have worked on regular recipes with excellent results. Maybe use them to adapt a tasty regular yellow cake recipe for vegan eaters:
1) for eggs, substitue silken tofu in same volume, pureed before mixing with other wet ingredients. Thus, 2 large eggs, each 2 oz, needs 4 oz silken tofu as sub.
2) for butter, use extra virgin olive oil.
P.S. I have not found a vegan substitute for milk that gives equally good results in terms of taste or texture, so I would avoid a recipe that has milk.

Nancy August 7, 2015

another post script. as butter is about 80-82% fat, 16-17% water and 1-2% milk solids, use only 13 tbsp oil & 3 tbsp water for every cup of butter in the recipe.

Esvee
Esvee August 7, 2015

Thanks Nancy, that's great information!

PieceOfLayerCake August 7, 2015

I have a pretty good vegan vanilla cake.....but its really butter and egg yolks that make a yellow cake "yellow". Is that what you're looking for?

Esvee
Esvee August 7, 2015

I didn't realize that! Maybe a good white cake recipe should be what I'm looking for then...

Esvee
Esvee August 7, 2015

I mean vanilla cake! If you'd like to share your recipe I'd love to try it out!

PieceOfLayerCake August 7, 2015

Done! Let me know how it comes out. I've had to scale it down quite a bit and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how much batter it makes :-/. If you need to serve a specific number of people (i.e. more than 12), I would recommend doubling it and, worse comes to worse, you have a layer in the freezer at a moments notice!

Esvee
Esvee August 8, 2015

Where/how did you share the recipe?

PieceOfLayerCake August 9, 2015

I uploaded it to my profile here on the site.

Esvee
Esvee August 12, 2015

Thanks! This looks ideal!

ChefJune August 7, 2015

I have never made one, but if I were going to do so, I would consult with renowned vegan baking teacher, Fran Costigan. I would google her.

Esvee
Esvee August 8, 2015

Thanks, I'll definitely look her up!