What is the temperature of a Crock Pot? Can I use my creuset Dutch oven like s crock pot in the oven set at a crockpot temperature?

Is there something about the crock that makes the food crock pot food or does the container matter if the heat is low and slow?

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend August 12, 2015

Crock Pot is the brand name. Generic term is slow cooker. So low and slow should do, either in oven or on stovetop.

702551
702551 August 12, 2015

Remember, before there were slow cookers, there were Dutch ovens.

A slow cooker is simply a modernization of any ancient cooking tool because it can be programmed to conveniently start while you are away from your kitchen.

The convenience and unattended cooking are what make slow cookers attractive to contemporary consumers. Before there were slow cookers, people used Dutch ovens.

702551
702551 August 12, 2015

Oh, I forgot these details:

The low setting on a slow cooker is approximately 200 degrees. The high setting should be about 300 degrees. Of course, there are slight differences between cooker brands and models.

Anyhow, good luck!

Voted the Best Reply!

PieceOfLayerCake August 12, 2015

I have never owned a slow cooker....a heavy duty dutch oven has always done me good....plus, I nearly always like a bit of control over the evaporation in my stew/braise, and its difficult to do that in a slow cooker.

PieceOfLayerCake August 12, 2015

I should say "from what I hear".

Kristen W.
Kristen W. August 13, 2015

I don't actually use a slow cooker, but it's a less scary idea to me to leave one on low all day while I'm at work, as opposed to leaving the oven on low while no one's home, which I would never do. That strikes me as the main advantage - it's an electrical appliance vs. a gas oven.

paseo
paseo August 13, 2015

Not a real fan of slow cookers, but they have their uses (rendering lard for 1 thing). They also use less energy than an oven which is important to some.