🔕 🔔

What is the temperature of a Crock Pot? Can I use my creuset Dutch oven like s crock pot in the oven set at a crockpot temperature?

Is there something about the crock that makes the food crock pot food or does the container matter if the heat is low and slow?

asked by Marcmarc over 2 years ago

Crock Pot is the brand name. Generic term is slow cooker. So low and slow should do, either in oven or on stovetop.

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

Remember, before there were slow cookers, there were Dutch ovens.

A slow cooker is simply a modernization of any ancient cooking tool because it can be programmed to conveniently start while you are away from your kitchen.

The convenience and unattended cooking are what make slow cookers attractive to contemporary consumers. Before there were slow cookers, people used Dutch ovens.

Oh, I forgot these details:

The low setting on a slow cooker is approximately 200 degrees. The high setting should be about 300 degrees. Of course, there are slight differences between cooker brands and models.

Anyhow, good luck!

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I don't actually use a slow cooker, but it's a less scary idea to me to leave one on low all day while I'm at work, as opposed to leaving the oven on low while no one's home, which I would never do. That strikes me as the main advantage - it's an electrical appliance vs. a gas oven.

Not a real fan of slow cookers, but they have their uses (rendering lard for 1 thing). They also use less energy than an oven which is important to some.