@AJ, usually sunken middles indicate that the recipe has too much leavening. It could be that the buttermilk is too acidic or there might be too much baking powder.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this statement - it's too vague. Baked goods sink for many many reasons. If something shuffles quite a bit and then sinks that's different from never rising at all. I wrote something about this sinking business a while back :http://eggbeater.typepad.com/shuna/2009/02/why-do-cakes-sink.html

My first guess would be too much liquid - meaning milk is not as viscous as buttermilk, although not all buttermilks are created equal! When I don't have buttermilk I tend to use yogurt, because thicker is usually a better direction to go than thinner. I LOVE the dried buttermilk idea! For you who has a little meteor of dried buttermilk - if you have a food processor that can usually help the clump issue.

Don't know about the muffins, but I've always found dried buttermilk a handy thing to have around the kitchen. Works great for baking, and it keeps pretty well in a tightly sealed jar- it does tend to absorb moisture and turn to rock, which is surprisingly hard to reconstitute.

AJ, I've made those muffins and they had a beautiful dome, so I think you're onto the not quite right buttermilk.

Thank you, everyone! Those muffins were such a hit, I was asked to make them again soon - and to try a variation adding blueberries -- so I plan to buy some good buttermilk this weekend and make another batch early next week.
Thanks for the reminder, oldunc, about the buttermilk powder. I can get it in bulk, so I've made a note to buy a small quantity for emergencies just like this one.
Have a great weekend, all of you!
Cheers. ;o)