🔕 🔔

What is the best substitute for buttermilk in a baking recipe such as muffins?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

Why? Do you not have any? If so, you can easily sour milk by either whisking in a teaspoon or so of white or cider vinegar (DON'T use balsamic - not a pretty story) and let it sit for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can divide the amount of milk to 75% milk and 25% sour cream and whisk them together. If you want to avoid buttermilk entirely, use whole milk, but remove the baking soda from the list of ingredients unless you're making, say banana bread, or something containing an additional acid. It's present whenever an acid is,.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

What boulangere says!! Sometimes I use greek yogurt thinned with some milk and that works out fine.

Oh yeah, I'll bet that's great.

Wholefoods user icon

I use yogurt in pancakes. I could use kifer for a similar flavor but I like the viscosity of yogurt because it can be thinned out with amber beer. It would probably make marvelous muffins too.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Like wssmom, I use yogurt thinned with milk. I've also added lemon juice to milk (instead of vinegar) and it has turned out fine.

Yes, to sour milk, any acid of a neutral color and flavor will do just fine.

WFMC, spot on.