Can I substitute flax seeds for chia in a cake recipe?

I just dropped my jar of chia seeds on the floor and smashed it! My cake recipe requires 2 tbsp chia seeds. This is the recipe:

2 mugs buckwheat flour
1 mug ground almonds
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/3 mug raisins
2 slices pineapple
1 mug almond milk
1/2 mug maple syrup
3 carrots

Please let me know if I can use flax seeds (meal) instead and if so, how much? Or do I need to purchase more chia seeds?

Thank you!

asked by Deema almost 3 years ago

I don't think so. The chia seeds looks like a binder (like eggs) for cake. I don't think the flax seeds will do the same thing.

Deema

Okay, thank you. I read something about flax having a slightly nuttier taste too. I think I'll be safe and purchase some more chia seeds!

No. The two are entirely different. By all means, head to the market. You'll be glad you did

And pick up a new jar on the way. I've never done anything like that. Ever. Wink, wink.

Deema

haha it was like watching it in slow motion, imagine how hard chia seeds are to clean up! I'll definitely be getting a new jar too

I don't envy you the clean up job. I once dropped a 2 litre bottle of olive oil. It split along the seam. I wanted to move rather than clean it up.