🔕 🔔

Vegan substitute for egg white for fluffy pancakes

I am making vegan pancakes. Milk is easy to substitute, but egg, especially white is quite tricky. I read that flax seeds or chia seeds gel (seeds soaked in water for sometime and form gel-like texture) can be the most common substitution, so I tried chia seeds gel. Problem is that this is only a good binding agent, doesn't make the batter fluffy and light as the egg white should. I have searched online for a while, yet to find satisfying answer....Please help!

asked by JIN over 1 year ago

Cee

Try the liquid that you drain from a can of chick peas. It takes longer to whip to a foam than egg whites, but it actually does whip to a foam (use an electric beater). Try it -- chick pea water -- really.

66f62bef cb8f 49f0 b992 52298e0431ce  fb avatar
JIN

Thank you so much! Chick pea water, who knew? Will def. try it :-) Thanks again!

Cee

Try the liquid that you drain from a can of chickpeas. It takes longer to whip to a foam than egg whites, but it actually does do the trick. Try it -- chickpea water -- really.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I second the aquafaba suggestion, the chickpea liquid works superbly.

JIN

Thanks :-) I am buying a can of chickpea today, Fingers crossed!

5989cceb 9b04 4a83 b99d 7eaf35649c4e  stringio

Kenji Lopez-Alt recently wrote up the methodology and recipe if you need more precise instructions: http://www.seriouseats...

JIN

Fantastic! Thank you!