Yellow mold on fermented jalapeños

Im new to fermentation, but have been trying to make a different ferment every month or so. This month's project is jalapeños, and they're done, but there's a swirly yellow mold on top and floating throughout the brine. I spooned it out and packed the peppers into jars with the brine but I wanted to know if yellow mold is more dangerous than the white mold that is more commonly encountered in fermentation? Thanks for any help!

asked by arielleclementine almost 3 years ago

Is it fuzzy? If it's not, then it isn't mold. I have a feeling it's similar to the white strands that sometimes happen with preserved lemons which is harmless. I'm only guessing though because I haven't fermented jalapenos.

arielleclementine

oh thank you! it's not fuzzy. it was strand-like. kind of like when you swirl beaten egg into egg drop soup but smoother than that. i thought it was mold because it was on the surface, but i'm thinking that you're right about it not being mold.

Yes, that is exactly what happens with lemons. I haven't seen it when I make sauerkraut, but I've also seen it with Kombucha. Nerve racking, but I really think it's harmless. With my Kombucha, I checked with KombuchaKamp. They have a question and answer forum. I'll bet you can find a similar forum for fermented vegetables.