Baking project suggestions

I could use a project and would like to make something new to me, so I was hoping for suggestions. Baking is a de-stressor for me and I conveniently have a family party this weekend. I'd like something that lends itself to individual servings since we won't all be eating at the same time (so not cake/pie) Any ideas?

• Posted by: Diana
  • August 19, 2015

PieceOfLayerCake August 19, 2015

Do I?! I think a good challenge (if you're looking for that sort of thing), would be laminated pastry. Croissant and inverted puff pastry would be two of my favorite things in the entire world to make. While the puff pastry freezes wonderfully, the croissant can be slightly compromised by that environment. I think they're both so very worth it.

Another project could be french petit four like madeleine, macaron, canelé, etc.. A good lemon-vanilla madeleine is one of the most perfect sweets. Macaron can be especially tricky to master. They're not difficult to make, but they're difficult to get right.

Something that can be made individual and frozen is pâte à choux. Its what they make profiteroles, eclair and French beignets out of. Its SO versatile, but I have to say the traditional eclair is my absolute favorite. Fill them with crème diplomat (pastry cream lightened with whipped cream) and top them with ganache and....oh my lawd.

Those are a few of my suggestions....if I think of any more, I'll chime back in. Let us know how it goes!

boulangere August 19, 2015

How about bagels?
Thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/let's-bake-bagels-part-1/

Nancy August 19, 2015

There's a cherry coconut and pistachio cake from Honey & Co (London restaurant with mid east roots) that they designed to be on their counter each day, with taste variations. Might do the trick. See Financial Times web site for May 30 or Jun 20, 2014 (there were two features on this restaurant and I don't know which date had this cake).
If you have refrigeration available (to hold the whipped cream or ice cream) make shortcake...not strawberry, but whatever fruit is flourishing in late summer near you. Make traditional shortcake, angel food cake, pound cake or scones, arrange an individual portion base layer, top with macerated fruit (alcohol and sugar to taste), more cake, cream.

Ali Worthalter
Ali Worthalter August 20, 2015

Biscuits! You can go either the sweet or the savory way!

Suchi Modi
Suchi Modi August 20, 2015

I could completely agree with PieceOfLayerCake and back Macarons. I like you find baking a de-stressor. For taday making Raspberry pinkpeppercorn macaron. Or you could try making Challah if new to breads

Diana
Diana August 21, 2015

So, life and work got in the way of my baking day (boo). But I have filed some ideas away for my next free day (croissants and macarons are high on that list). Thanks for the help!

sonya
sonya August 22, 2015

Like PieceOfLayerCake, I was wondering if you have you made puff pastry? You could try your hand at that (time consuming, but just stretched out over time, and not very difficult), and then bake individual napoleons (lemon-raspberry or chocolate-raspberry with the summer fruits). If that sounds interesting to you :)

And Secondbasil's idea of biscuits are yummy when made into Strawberry or Peach Shortcakes :)