🔕 🔔

Tips for cooking zucchini "pasta"?

I just purchased a machine for making vegetable "pasta" strands. My first attempt was a mild success - zucchini "pasta" strands with pesto, sautéed leeks, feta, and cherry tomatoes. I sautéed the zucchini for a few minutes, but found it got a little limp....and green. I think next time I'll do a sweeter, more colorful sauce. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or technique?

asked by lloreen about 2 years ago

I'll bet it was green. Yummy though. I find my zoodles stay too all dente. I like any and all sauces. Marinara seems to really compliment it. The last time I had them, I added feta, Greek olives, fresh basil and roasted garlic. I added the feta and basil after it was plated. I served it with roasted shrimp. Some grilled bread would have rounded the meal out beautifully, but I was avoiding flours and grains.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

The last place I worked served a raw zucchini-spaghetti salad. We would spiralize the zucchini on the smaller setting, then add a loose (and well-seasoned) pesto dressing and quartered cherry tomatoes. Topped with roasted and salted cashews, it was a best seller. The only issue with it is it released a lot of liquid if left to sit for long before eating, so dress it just before serving

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I prefer zucchini noodles pan-fried until cooked.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I bought a spiralizer - so fun! For my " zoodles" I spin them then lightly salt them and let them rest in a colander. This draws out moisture and also seasons them. Then I gently twirl them in a dish towel to remove even more moisture. I love to cook minced ginger and garlic, add the zoodles and some lemon, parsley or basil, and top with Parmesan. Delish!!

My family really likes this (we usually serve it as a side): raw zoodles with cherry tomatoes and a lemon vinaigrette topped with fresh basil. Extremely basic, but simple and tasty.

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

I, as others have said, leave my zoodles raw and just top with sauce! My favorite is pesto but I also like substituting them in Asian noodle salads :)