Tips for cooking zucchini "pasta"?

I just purchased a machine for making vegetable "pasta" strands. My first attempt was a mild success - zucchini "pasta" strands with pesto, sautéed leeks, feta, and cherry tomatoes. I sautéed the zucchini for a few minutes, but found it got a little limp....and green. I think next time I'll do a sweeter, more colorful sauce. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or technique?

• Posted by: lloreen
  • August 22, 2015

Susan W August 22, 2015

I'll bet it was green. Yummy though. I find my zoodles stay too all dente. I like any and all sauces. Marinara seems to really compliment it. The last time I had them, I added feta, Greek olives, fresh basil and roasted garlic. I added the feta and basil after it was plated. I served it with roasted shrimp. Some grilled bread would have rounded the meal out beautifully, but I was avoiding flours and grains.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks August 23, 2015

The last place I worked served a raw zucchini-spaghetti salad. We would spiralize the zucchini on the smaller setting, then add a loose (and well-seasoned) pesto dressing and quartered cherry tomatoes. Topped with roasted and salted cashews, it was a best seller. The only issue with it is it released a lot of liquid if left to sit for long before eating, so dress it just before serving

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 23, 2015

I prefer zucchini noodles pan-fried until cooked.

Voted the Best Reply!

aargersi August 23, 2015

I bought a spiralizer - so fun! For my " zoodles" I spin them then lightly salt them and let them rest in a colander. This draws out moisture and also seasons them. Then I gently twirl them in a dish towel to remove even more moisture. I love to cook minced ginger and garlic, add the zoodles and some lemon, parsley or basil, and top with Parmesan. Delish!!

Diana
Diana August 25, 2015

My family really likes this (we usually serve it as a side): raw zoodles with cherry tomatoes and a lemon vinaigrette topped with fresh basil. Extremely basic, but simple and tasty.

Diana
Diana August 25, 2015

Emily Love
Emily Love August 25, 2015

I, as others have said, leave my zoodles raw and just top with sauce! My favorite is pesto but I also like substituting them in Asian noodle salads :)