can you sub boneless pork ribs for pork shoulder?

My husband bought a huge pack of boneless ribs from Costco and we don't know what to do with them. Could we sub them for pork shoulder in a slow cooker recipe? The meat looks fairly lean with big chunks of fat or connective tissue on the edges.

asked by Inko about 3 years ago

Definitely. According to my butcher, those boneless pork ribs are actually part of or very close to the shoulder. I use them all the time. This is a really good recipe by Merrill. Delish!!
https://food52.com/recipes...

Inko

That stew looks delicious. THANKS!

That dish, pork stew with white beans and butternut squash, was posted as a kid-friendly meal, but I can tell you that there's no one under 60 in my household and we absolutely loved it.

Lol, Greenstuff. Same in this household. I think the story that went with the recipe was that her daughter LOVED it.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I think so...they're usually cuts of pork from or near the shoulder. Here's a link:
http://www.thekitchn.com...

I 'll use them in stews and if marinaded, they're great for kebabs!

Inko

Very helpful link. THANKS! I am all set now with your info and the recipe above.

I know you already have a recipe in mind, but just in case you still have boneless ribs, you can make pork rillettes (in the slower cooker too). Here's my recipe and it's super easy,
https://food52.com/recipes...

Inko

Thanks - who knew!

By all means, yes. I do it often when I don't necessarily want the quantity that a shoulder or butt yields. Treat them exactly as you would the shoulder. They cook down in significantly less time than the larger cuts, which is another bonus.

scruz

i have bought them at costco too. i would, after you look at some recipes, double wrap and freeze in recipe portions and then you will have some to look forward to. i made some grilled char sieu (pork strips marinated soy, honey, etc.). they are also good leftover served over a chicken broth with noodles and veggies.

Jamie Ward

I love the recipe loocated at Weber.com - Pork Carnitas Simmered in Citrus and Beer
Recipe by Jamie Purviance