🔕 🔔

Watermelon rind pickle miscalculation

I bought a delicious moon & stars watermelon from the farmer's market for a Labor Day BBQ, and since I cut the watermelon off the rind before serving, I decided to make rind pickles with them. Last night I made the pickling solution and upon filling my sterilized 1 quart jar (these are quick pickles so they're safe for this jar) with solution as high as I thought it could go, after a few hours I noticed the brine was no longer covering the rind pieces. I guess the rinds absorbed quite a bit of the solution.

Should I make up some more pickling solution to top it off right away, or should I just remove (eat) some of the pickles and hope the solution remains at the same level? Any advice is appreciated!

asked by Jan Weber over 2 years ago

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

Since pickling solution is usually easy and cheap to make, I'd just make some more and top off. Make a little extra and keep in the fridge until you are convinced that the rinds have absorbed all they are going to.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Just make more and top it off.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

Thanks for the advice - I prepared some extra solution and added more to the jar. The rinds seem to have stopped absorbing the liquid, so I will let them rest for a day or two, then taste. I also saved a cup or so of solution just in case. They kept so much of the nice red & green color - looks delicious!