🔕 🔔

dumb question, what's better with chicken vegetable stir fry and white rice...soy sauce or teriyaki?

asked by @McCollumAshley over 6 years ago

I'd go with the terriyaki. Soy alone is a little one dimensional. I use soy sauce with chicken stock, oyster sauce, chile sause and sherry if I have it. Thickened with cornstarch and water slurry.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose teriyaki; I usually end up making my own similar to nutcakes' idea above. I find straight soy sauce awfully salty, even the reduced-sodium kind.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Teriyaki does have more layered flavor. It's easy to overdo soy sauce and wind up with a very salty concoction.

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

Agree with all the others about teriyaki over straight soy - in a pinch, for a quick and easy teriyaki sauce, combine equal parts soy sauce and sugar, plus garlic, fresh ginger, scallions and cornstarch slurry to thicken.