🔕 🔔

protection

Hi chefs,
I'm an industrial design student trying to develop a forearm arm/hand protection against burns and cuts as a future tool for chefs
Maybe you can tell me which parts and areas are injured more often or frequently?

Feel free to add also other suggestions you always missed in the kitchen
(measuring things, temperature indicator..)

Greetings Jules

asked by Jules about 2 years ago

Amy

I am a baker...so I'd say the backs of my hands and my forearms, as I am always "reaching" inside the oven. As for cuts, the fingers when slicing with a bread knife. Would love gloves that "fit" my hands well (no bulk or long fingers) and are heat safe so that I can handle hot sugar, hot muffins, hot breads, etc without scalding my fingers. Thanks!

agree. also gauntlet to protect top of forearm from burns on oven rack, when I'm in a rush or too lazy to pull out food that's cooking to test it and just reach in.

Have you contacted professionals & students? if yes, great. If not, consider CIA, the northern California cooking school (still open?), Cornell Hotel School, etc. Also,
http://womenchefs.org/wcr...
http://www.iacp.com/
http://www.acfchefs.org/
etc

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I have many.....many burns on my arms. It came form being in an unnecessary hurry as a young baker. I tend to burn myself on my upper arm, right over my biceps, particularly on my left arm. Its usually because I'm in a rush and the sheet pans slip and slide as I take them out of the oven/rotate them. Other than that, just all over my forearm. I rarely cut myself, but if my knife slips while I'm trimming cake layers, its usually a pretty nasty one on the palm.

Light-weight thin close-fitting heat-resistant water-resistant knife-proof (from slicing and jabbing) flexible hand & arm armor