🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Quick Hot Pickled Peppers

B9c8f452 7d3c 4d2b b484 e8284763476a  2015 0330 how to quick pickle peppers bobbi lin 1661

I have a question about the recipe "Quick Hot Pickled Peppers" from Mei Chin. Would it be possible to can this recipe? If so... how? Would it make the texture all wrong? How about freezing?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked about 1 year ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I don't think texture would be an issue -- Mama Lil's come canned. I think I'd ask mrswheelbarrow about food safety with the olive oil and garlic in the mix it may require a pressure canner.

ktr

I would recommend using a recipe that is made for canning. I've never frozen peppers so I'm not sure how that would affect the recipe.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

This recipe might be safe for canning with a few alterations. (I say might because I haven't tested the pH, and therefore cannot be certain.) That said, it is similar to my recipe for marinated roasted red peppers which has been tested and approved by a trusted source. I would suggest the following changes: skip the sugar, use half the garlic and replace the sherry vinegar with apple cider or white vinegar. Also, do not cook the peppers in the brine as long or the processing will mush them. Process pints for 20 minutes. I realize it is not the same recipe, so you may not want to use this, but using the current recipe has some issues. Freezing probably will not work. When defrosted, I fear the peppers would disintegrate. Proceed at your own risk if you decide to can this recipe.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the suggestions. That's very helpful.