A question about a recipe: Sweet Potato and Chickpea Cakes

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet Potato and Chickpea Cakes" from Gena Hamshaw. Think I could make these with just chickpeas?? As in, minus the sweet potato? I'm out!

Deb92caa 94d5 4c6c 894f fb834bee3630  2016 04 09 15 56 11
  • Posted by: marmar
  • September 26, 2015
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Cakes
Recipe question for: Sweet Potato and Chickpea Cakes

Nancy September 27, 2015
Agree with Gena. Fine for taste (France, Italy, India all have chick-peas-only pancakes), worry a little about texture. If you have some carrot, summer or winter squash or plain potato (any color) maybe chop finely & add them for moisture.

Nancy September 27, 2015
sorry if I sounded presumptuous. only noticed after I posted comment that you are also author of recipe. All deference to originator :)

Gena H. September 27, 2015
Hi Maren!

It should be just fine, but my concern with veggie burgers is always texture, and without the sweet potato, these might get dry and/or crumbly. I'd try adding a bit liquid as you mash the chickpeas and the chickpea flour, and using intuition and your eyes to see if the burgers are getting too dry. I hope it works!