A question about a recipe: Chard Salad with Garlic Breadcrumbs and Parmesan

I have a question about the recipe "Chard Salad with Garlic Breadcrumbs and Parmesan" from Merrill Stubbs. How does this fare as leftovers?

• Posted by: Jassy
  • October 5, 2015

702551
702551 October 5, 2015

For me, any sort of dressed salad fares very poorly as leftovers. The acidity of the dressing quickly wilts the greens, regardless of how robust they are. That's why salads are dressed at the last minute.

Worse, this particular salad features shredded greens, something that degrades very quickly, even if it is undressed.

The key feature of salads is the freshness. Shredding in advance and possibly wilting the greens with an acidic dressing is not the way I care to enjoy salads.

I don't buy salads at the deli aisle in the supermarket either. So unappetizing.

ChefJune October 5, 2015

I'm going to disagree with cv. Chard is a sturdier green than most lettuces, and can probably hold up quite a bit better. I also rather like the flavors some leftover salads develop the next day. One of the things I often do to freshen it up is add some fresh greens to the leftover salad. Layers of flavors, don't you know?