Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Is it possible to make a cider vinegar substitute from apple cider and white vinegar??

I've got a potato salad recipe I want to try that calls for 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar. I don't have any cider vinegar on hand, but being that it's October, I do actually have both apple cider and white vinegar! Would some combination of those two ingredients fulfill its need in the recipe?

asked by J. Stratton about 1 year ago

Yes! Go for it. I'd do half and half, tasting and adding a touch more vinegar, after all of the other ingredients are added and the salad is tossed, if you want it a bit sharper. Sounds delicious. ;o)

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

I don't know- cider vinegar is pretty pungeant, more so than most white vinegars- unless you mean that Heinz window washing stuff. I think it's going to be pretty hard to balance- better to go to the store. Bragg's makes a cider vinegar that contains the mother; I suppose you could use that to grow your own, but it takes some time.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Rather than add one tablespoon each of apple cider and white vinegar to the potato salad mix, I recommend that you mix them in a separate container first and taste for desired acidity.

I'd start with one tablespoon of apple cider, then add the vinegar a bit at a time rather than the other way around. When you have your desired mix, include two tablespoons of that into your potato salad as called for in the recipe.

Good luck.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Yes, I was thinking that the apple cider would introduce quite a bit more sugar than apple cider vinegar would have, so yes, mixing them separately is a good idea.