how to cook chicken to add to ravioli soup

Made a great zucchini, tomato, butternut squash ravioli soup a couple of weeks ago; a little hot chili complemented the sweetness of the squash. I'd like to add a little chicken to increase the protein but, searching recipes, am not sure if I cook separately and add or simply add smaller pieces and cook with everything else. Of course, not having dry chicken is always the challenge.

asked by fuhsi almost 3 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

fushi, it might depend on how you are making the soup, it would be helpful if you could share a bit more about the recipe... In the absence of additional info -- yes, you can always cook the chicken in some chicken or vegetable broth and add it to the soup at the end.

fuhsi

QueenSashy, I'm using concentrated bone broth as a base, adding the vegetables (first saute the onions) to cook ~20 minutes, then add the ravioli. I usually sear chicken but was wondering if I cut it into 2" pieces if it's okay to add it raw and when.
Thanks for your response!

Like QS said, it depends where you are in the soup making process. I like using bone in, skin off chicken thighs when making chicken soup from scratch. I swear the thighs, add the broth and simmer until cooked through. Remove and shred the meat and add it back to the soup. I've also used chicken breast and gently poached it to add to soup that is finished and chicken is an afterthought.

fuhsi

Ah, Susan and QS, poaching is probably the way to do this! Thanks for your quick responses!

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris