Christmas main dish ideas...a red meat and a white meat... No ham. Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out what to make for Christmas. Two different type of meat that are a delicious recipes. But not too time consuming day of. Please help, thanks!

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens November 23, 2015

It's hard to go wrong with a rack of lamb for Christmas—it doesn't take long and it's delicious (and impressive!)! Here's my favorite recipe: https://food52.com/recipes...

As for white meat, I love serving everyone their own full or half-game hen—makes things feel more festive than a chicken, I think! https://food52.com/recipes...

Brooke Boucher
Brooke Boucher November 23, 2015

I loveee lamb but most of my family members wouldn't eat it. I wish! I'll def try this recipe out on my own anyway for a friend dinner party! Ohh and I'll check out the half game hen, that sounds fun and fancy.

Voted the Best Reply!

Catherine M. Jordan
Catherine M. Jordan November 23, 2015

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a classic English roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for the red meat. For the white, you can go classic with a goose, or nouveau with fish.

Brooke Boucher
Brooke Boucher November 23, 2015

Yum English Roast Beef sounds like a good idea for a red meat. Thanks!

scruz
scruz November 23, 2015

a capon and roast lamb sirloin roast. both can be served hot or at room temp.

ChefJune November 23, 2015

If your family won't eat lamb, how about a crown roast of pork? It is one of the most impressive presentations with the little "pants" on every chop and SO delicious.

AntoniaJames November 23, 2015

Roast beef, of course. For example: https://food52.com/recipes... I make this with Chiant. Serve with mashed potatoes. Can be made a day or two before - like any braise, it will taste better.

Not sure if the "white meat" parameter means some kind of poultry. If not, I'd make this marvelous pork tenderloin: https://food52.com/recipes... - it's quite easy and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. (I serve it at dinner parties, to people of all ages and everyone raves.) I make a nice pan sauce using the marinade which I simmer with stock and thinly sliced onions while the pork is in the oven; then I blend it to make it sort of creamy and add the juice of a lemon and all the pan drippings.
You can also take the sauce in a red wine + mushrooms direction: it can be made ahead of time, and stirred into the pan juices. So many options.

Have fun! ;o)

Brooke Boucher
Brooke Boucher November 24, 2015

What's a god way to reheat the roast beef day of without over cooking it? I was thinking about doing a roasted chicken too, but I only have one oven and not too much room.

AntoniaJames November 24, 2015

Gently warm slices in the sauce. You can do the same with chicken. You don't need the oven, in fact. I like to use my copper gratin pan for this: make the sauce in it on the stove, slice the meat, let it come to room temperature, reheat the sauce and slip the slices into the hot sauce immediately before serving in that same (recently polished) beautiful copper gratin dish. Make sure a spoon is included with the serving fork, to allow people to take extra sauce from the pan. ;o)

Nancy November 23, 2015

Whatever meats you choose, perhaps do them both in the style of one country whose cooking you love. This will not only give your dinner a theme, but will make seasoning and making side dishes so much more coherent. Italian Moroccan, french, etc.

Karen
Karen November 23, 2015

Beef Tenderloin

Judy Bloom
Judy Bloom November 23, 2015

This may be chiming in but I agree that a beautiful Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding would be magnificent. Seeing that is so rich, for the white you might try a beautiful roast capon or simple roast chicken, which I find are often tastier than turkeys. Or a turducken?

702551
702551 November 23, 2015

I would do beef tri-tip and a pork loin roast, both on the grill. At least here in California, you can fire up the grill on Christmas Day.

If you have a lot of guests and can't do all the meat on the grill, I'd do the pork roast in the oven, save the fire for the beef.

Both are very low maintenance, non-fussy main dishes.

702551
702551 November 23, 2015

If you want a poultry alternative, I suggest roast chicken. Personally, I would do a spatchcocked chicken in the oven.

Depending on how many guests you have, you might need to roast two chickens. If that's the case, get two smaller ones, leave them whole, roast them together in the same roasting pan. I prefer chicken over turkey myself.

Loves Food Loves to Eat
Loves Food Loves to Eat November 24, 2015

My family always did a prime rib (roasted in a salt crust) for Christmas. It's pretty impressive and fun. You could also do a braised short rib over potatoes or polenta, or something hearty and stew-like, like beef bourguignon! And for non red meat... what about seafood? We usually do king crab legs on Christmas eve... just buy the legs, then we usually grill them(!), and then everyone just has a pile of crab legs, dish of butter, crusty french bread, and a salad, and digs in with their crab crackers!

bamcnamara
bamcnamara November 24, 2015

my go to is https://food52.com/recipes.... I would also do a few simple roast chickens (Bell and Evans or Murrays). Both could rest for a good bit---especially the chickens....good hot gravy will bring it all together. Good luck. BTW I invested in a Therma-pen food thermometer....it has made everything I make so much easier bc it's so accurate.

CookOnTheFly
CookOnTheFly November 24, 2015

Try my recipe for braised beef, https://food52.com/recipes.... I've made this any number of times for myself, and did it last year for 12 at Christmas. You can make it three days in advance and then reheat in the oven per the directions. For a "white meat" might I suggest Gravlax? You can start it ahead of time and then slice it thinly before serving.

max jaffa
max jaffa November 25, 2015

The classic British suckling pig spit roast in my Bompani is all we needs for the 25th and 26th