🔕 🔔

Beef or lamb for Christmas

Hello, all!

My fam doesn't want turkey for Christmas and have their palates set on red meat. However, they are opposed to any "bloody" meat. I think I could get away with that area between medium and medium well lol I'm thinking leg of lamb...or even a beautiful beef Wellington. Leaning towards leg of lamb though. Any ideas? Tips? Please help. I love cooking for my family and I just want them to gobble it right up without any scowling faces lol

asked by Diari about 1 year ago

My family always made turkey for Thanksgiving, beef for Christmas, and lamb for Easter to keep the holidays different. The roast is usually pretty basic - fattier and a more expensive cut than usual (we usually try to eat leaner meats and can't afford the grass-fed stuff as often as half of them demand animal proteins) with dried mushrooms (porcini or shiitake), herbs, and a good wine sauce. Then we include sides reserved for holidays. Roasts are never bloody as far as I've seen since they have to be cooked long enough to render fat.

Any excuse to cook lamb is a good one. Especially with lots of garlic and rosemary. That said goose is great at Christmas too.

I have two leg-of-lamb recipes that I like.
One roasted with herbs in a southern French palate (originally recommended for spring, but not restricted to that time of year):
http://www.wsj.com/articles...
and one braised with Egyptian seasonings (like Ras el Hanout), from Daniel Boulud:
http://www.wsj.com/articles...
See if the sound of either appeals to you and your guests.

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

I second that Daniel Boulud recipe, I love it. And a middle eastern flair fits into the seasonality of December. A glazed or roased brussles sprouts dish with pomegranate molasses or simply garnished with pomegranate pips would be a great side for any leg of lamb.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

We change it up every year, but for a few years' running we made individual beef wellingtons, using store-bought puff pastry and cuts from a tenderloin or rib eye. We skipped the patè but made our own duxelles. Sear the meat before wrapping and then just bake. The packets can be made up ahead and baked at dinner time. Served with a red wine mushroom gravy or a balsamic glaze. This also allows you to bake according to desired doneness--make some medium and others more medium well. Food network has a few recipes, but you could modify any Wellington recipe.

This recipe for lamb is a favorite at our house. https://food52.com/recipes...