🔕 🔔

Softening marzipan

The marzipan I had left from last year has hardened to the point that I can’t use it in cookies. Any ideas on how to soften it?

asked almost 2 years ago

4992abb2 70b6 4d52 9762 cd9db33f05de  avatar
alp.aker

Alp is a senior software engineer at Food52

Marzipan becomes hard when the sugar in it crystallizes, so you should be able to soften it the same way you'd soften rocky lumps of brown sugar (heat and moisture and physically breaking it up). There's a good chance the oils in it have become rancid, though, so don't be surprised if it has an off flavor.

Thanks for the idea. It’s worth giving it a try because this is the real stuff without any additives. If it tastes off, then I’ll chalk it up to having bought too much.