🔕 🔔

First-timer. Cooking 17lb bird a la Julia Child. Accidentally cut out ribs...

I broke down my turkey last night (cut off legs, deboned thighs, cut out spine) but I got a little butcher happy and before I knew what I was doing, cut off the ribs. How will this affect my cooking time? Should I still sear the skin? Are the leg pieces going to cook way faster now? It is being dry brined (do I rinse it?) and I plan on cooking it resting on the stuffing. Please help! I'm worried I ruined it (so many questions!).

asked by Liz Lorenz over 2 years ago

84732cc2 b287 43eb 8c2c acb4fcea3d3f  2015 0917 cofield marble shape studs half moon mid bobbi lin 10925

hi liz! looking into turkey cooking times for you, but this article has everything you need to know about brining (including rinsing!): https://food52.com/blog...

Thanks! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

You didn't ruin it! The great thing about cooking a bird broken down is it doesn't all have to cook at the same time—you can pull various pieces out of the pan as soon as they're done. If the recipe calls for searing the skin, you still can! And if you dry brined, you shouldn't need to rinse (it's such a small amount of salt and rinsing will make it harder for the skin to crisp).

Thanks! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!