I ordered my turkey spatchcocked and when I opened it up, the butcher just cut it in half with the backbone still in place. Can I save the bird?

I just want to make sure I can still roast the bird like I normally would with a spatchcocked turkey. It's sitting in a brine solution now.

asked by Mark over 2 years ago

Well, not spatchcocked, you can't - so sorry to say. I think I would season it and tie it together really well with twine and roast it as a "regular" whole bird. You should still be able to get aromatics inside the cavity. It is going to be a big pain to carve, however.
I think I'd find a new butcher for the future. This one seems to not know what "spatchcocked" means. I'm so sorry that happened to you, but it should still taste great.

You definitely can. Remove the backbone if you can so it lays flat. In my mind, that would be harder with the backbone in place. Just lay the two pieces side by side and proceed.

alygator

I have a follow-up question (thank you, Mark for asking)! I think my butcher did it right however, I am kind of nervous about the rib cage. Should I worry about any little pieces of bones from the rib cage? I tried to really look at it this morning when I was putting on the dry brine but this is my first time working with a spatchchocked turkey and don't know what to expect. The rib cage stays in correct?

Yes. Don't worry about the ribs. The bird will be very easy to carve once cooked. The breast meat will pull away from the bones easily.

steph

Oh that is a bummer. I say turn lemon into lemonade and just braise it in parts so everything is perfectly cooked: http://www.nytimes.com...