pickup truck birthday cake

My son is asking for a "busy town truck cake" which essentially means he wants a yellow pickup truck cake. I've looked online at how to make one and I've seen all sorts of recommendations but no real clear instructions. I should say that I have never made anything other than a square, round or rectangular cake before. Any suggestions? So far I'm leaning toward stacking a mini loaf cake on top of a regular sized loaf cake and using Oreos for the wheels.

• Posted by: ktr
  • December 8, 2015

smarrell
smarrell December 8, 2015

I've seen some cute ones using little chocolate donuts for wheels. Also Wilton makes a 3-D car racer pan that I've seen converted into a truck.

bigpan
bigpan December 8, 2015

Use a rectangle piece for the body, front to back. Another piece same width becomes the truck cab - flat back, angled for the window. You dont need to carve out the pickup rear bed. Cover with colored icing then pipe trim for the pick up bed, front hood outline, side snd front widows. Use dark blue icing for the windows. Good idea to use cookies for wheels.
It only needs to look okay for a minute because you will cut into it and it will no longer be a truck!

Bevi
Bevi December 8, 2015

Hi ktr - your idea sounds easy, basic, and with the right decorations will be very cute. I am not sure if you have an icing picked out, but I love to use Gale Gand's easy buttercream icing. It spreads nicely, and pipes very well. Good luck, and please send a photo. I love to look at cakes!

ktr
ktr December 8, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking of making cream cheese frosting but it's usually a little too soft to frost on the sides of a cake so I may try your suggestion.

ktr
ktr December 14, 2015

The buttercream recipe turned out great! Very easy!

ktr
ktr December 14, 2015

I can't take credit for the cake decorating though - my sister did all the decorating except for the sprinkles and the wheels. She decided that was all I could handle!

Dona
Dona December 14, 2015

What a fun cake! You did a great job!

Bevi
Bevi December 14, 2015

Your cake is adorable! I bet your son was one happy boy!

ktr
ktr December 14, 2015

I'm not sure if he was more excited about the truck or the sprinkles!