Has anyone tried making a new batch of kefir from store-bought kefir and store-bought organic milk?

I want to go to Whole Foods and buy 1) kefir 2) normal milk and make more kefir from the normal milk, since kefir is like $6/32 oz and milk is $2/32 oz

Thanks!

asked by Ella almost 3 years ago

LE BEC FIN

ella, i thought one had to have a mother culture to make kefir but i'm sure google will tell you

ktr
ktr

You need kefir grains to make kefir so I don't think you'll be able to make kefir using store bought kefir as a starter. The only way you could do it is if it wasn't strained to remove the grains.

I could be wrong, but near WF Kombucha SCOBY supplies, I think I've seen Keifer grains. They are inexpensive, so it could be a fun project to get into. I highly recommend this company for supplies, instructions and advice.
http://store.kombuchakamp...

Kefir..not Keifer

ktr
ktr

I've had good luck with purchasing kefir grains and other starters from culturesforhealth.com

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks