🔕 🔔

Dal sticking to bottom of the pan

Hello!

I've made a dal recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's book "Vegetarian India" several times. Whole red lentils are boiled with water, then partially covered and left to simmer for about 1 hour. No stirring instructions indicated. I've found that no matter what pot I use, the lentils stick to the bottom and dry/burn. Any ideas why or solutions?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked almost 2 years ago

E75016e9 47b6 4c16 9726 60e0e83283ba  22073 1321490391675 6875987 n

Does your stove run hot? I've found that mine does and this happens to me when I'm simmering or braising things. Try turning the stove down. I'm sorry, SJ!