I accidentally added milk to my crockpot potato soup at the beginning will this still be ok?

asked by Kristin Joy Collazo almost 3 years ago

ktr
ktr

The recipe I use calls for milk right at the beginning so I'd think it would be fine.

Kristin Joy Collazo

it actually calls for evaporated milk but i was out of it and used regular milk and now after reading other recipes i see where its saying not to add in milk at beginning of cooking... would it go bad or make us sick?

Usually, it's best to add dairy at the end because it could break. However, it may not. It won't make you sick.

Kristin Joy Collazo

yes it looked like it did break :( just don't want to make my family sick lol

No, it won't make anyone sick. It's just not pretty. Do you have an immersion blender? It may smooth it out. Or a regular blender.

It really depends on the recipe, but typically soups are made without dairy at the beginning. The dairy is added at the end as an emulsifier/thickener because the creaminess breaks down quickly.

Fancy white-tablecloth restaurants make basic soup bases without dairy/thickeners, then finish the soup portions to order, with fresh garnishes, dairy/other thickeners/emulsifiers (including butter), etc.

Most likely your soup will be fine and it won't make you sick. Will it be ideal? Probably not. Will it be good enough to serve to family? That's your call, but my guess is yes.

You will likely need to add some more dairy at the end for creaminess. This will unbalance what the recipe author intended, but that's an unavoidable consequence for your error.

In a fancy restaurant, the botched soup would probably be served to staff at the "family meal" and a fresh, correctly batch would be made for actual service.

Good luck.

arcane54

Likely too late for your potato soup, but in case someone else has the same experience-- I have fixed broken soups with some softened butter and flour mixed to a paste (1:2 ratio). Whisk it into your soup and it can bring the ingredients together. I learned that from the Joy of Cooking split pea soup recipe. Hope your soup was delicious!