I accidentally added milk to my crockpot potato soup at the beginning will this still be ok?

ktr
ktr December 28, 2015

The recipe I use calls for milk right at the beginning so I'd think it would be fine.

Kristin Joy Collazo
Kristin Joy Collazo December 28, 2015

it actually calls for evaporated milk but i was out of it and used regular milk and now after reading other recipes i see where its saying not to add in milk at beginning of cooking... would it go bad or make us sick?

Susan W December 28, 2015

Usually, it's best to add dairy at the end because it could break. However, it may not. It won't make you sick.

Kristin Joy Collazo
Kristin Joy Collazo December 28, 2015

yes it looked like it did break :( just don't want to make my family sick lol

Susan W December 28, 2015

No, it won't make anyone sick. It's just not pretty. Do you have an immersion blender? It may smooth it out. Or a regular blender.

702551
702551 December 28, 2015

It really depends on the recipe, but typically soups are made without dairy at the beginning. The dairy is added at the end as an emulsifier/thickener because the creaminess breaks down quickly.

Fancy white-tablecloth restaurants make basic soup bases without dairy/thickeners, then finish the soup portions to order, with fresh garnishes, dairy/other thickeners/emulsifiers (including butter), etc.

Most likely your soup will be fine and it won't make you sick. Will it be ideal? Probably not. Will it be good enough to serve to family? That's your call, but my guess is yes.

You will likely need to add some more dairy at the end for creaminess. This will unbalance what the recipe author intended, but that's an unavoidable consequence for your error.

In a fancy restaurant, the botched soup would probably be served to staff at the "family meal" and a fresh, correctly batch would be made for actual service.

Good luck.

arcane54
arcane54 January 1, 2016

Likely too late for your potato soup, but in case someone else has the same experience-- I have fixed broken soups with some softened butter and flour mixed to a paste (1:2 ratio). Whisk it into your soup and it can bring the ingredients together. I learned that from the Joy of Cooking split pea soup recipe. Hope your soup was delicious!