A question about a recipe: Southern Slow Cooker Choucroute

353439b1 ea65 4018 9dc3 353141faabff  2014 1124 slow cooker choucroute 008

I have a question about the recipe "Southern Slow Cooker Choucroute" from Nicholas Day. Should the smoked sausage be cooked or uncooked? What kind of sausage do you use? If you don't want smoked, what kind of sausages would you recommend?

asked by Hannah almost 3 years ago

A smoked sausage is going to be already cooked. I'd use Andouille, myself, for this recipe (Aidell's makes one that is very good, easily available, and less fatty than most sausages- they also have a chicken Andouille now.

I used the very sausage that unc mentioned. And yes, sausage is hot smoked. At least I don't remember ever seeing cold smoked sausage.

That's a pretty basic recipe. I'd say that you could use any sausage you like.