Food safety

I have a stone pot. But got it at a consignment store. Any opinions about its safety?

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Here is my opinion: if you heat it to a high enough temperature for cooking and don't use harsh chemical cleaners, it'll last a long time, just like similar vessels have successfully been used for millennia.

Voted the Best Answer!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I'm going for a longer life expectancy than people had millennia ago.

Fair enough.

The Japanese don't take any special measures with their stone/ceramic cookware and they have the longest life expectancy on the planet.

Do you mean like this or true stone?

http://www.amazon.com/Korean...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

It looks like true stone w am wooden handles. I soaked the wood w water before I put the dish in the oven. It has a beautiful stone top as well.

While I don't have experience owning one, I do know the reason they glaze the pots that I have is that the true stone versions had quite a few health risks. Lead, arsenic..and more. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's common with all stone pots or the ones from Korea. I know just enough to know that I'd want some very specific feedback. I'd check around until I found someone who knew for sure.

It sounds lovely. Can you post a photo?

Okay...food52 is haunted. My email says you responded and said "photo is up...etc." I don't see your response here and no, I see no photo. Weird.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Tried uploading the same photo as a new question. We may need food52 editorial expertise.

So odd. I have noticed my email sometimes says there's a new post and what the post is and poof..it's not there when I go to look. Doesn't happen often.

Can you see your photos? I looked at the new post, but it's not there either.

Your Guardian Chef

Hello Meg, I wonder if it is a Brazilian soapstone like the one in the picture. I cured mine with olive oil that is why it is black. If new it should be light gray. If it is, I am happy to tell you more about it and how to cure it. I use them all the time and the food is fantastic.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

The picture is of the pot.

cookbookchick

I see both photos.

Your Guardian Chef

here is when they are new
http://www.whisknyc.com...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Not this brand but looks similar. It is dark inside. I can't see a photo from you but followed the link.

Your Guardian Chef

I don't see a photo from Meg. I see mine.

Your Guardian Chef

It seems odd that your pot is light outside and dark inside. It would be helpful to see a picture. Probably the picture you load earlier was too large. Can you reduce it and try loading it again?
Otherwise put some olive oil on a paper towel, pass it over the pot and see what happen. If it is soapstone, light grey like the one in the picture, it should become dark like the inside.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Trying to reload a smaller sized picture and also tried to tweet it. So far hasn't sent to my email so that I can upload it. Hasn't showed up on my twitter stream either. Thank you!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Here is a smaller, I hope, image.

ktr
ktr

That looks like soapstone to me but it's hard to tell from a picture.

Your Guardian Chef

It looks like a soapstone, very similar to mine. You covered the wooden handle but they look the same. It is excellent for cooking stews. Never wash with soap, the stone is very porous and and will absorb it. Always clean with oil and keep it moist. I don't put mine in the oven as the wooden handle are not safe, plus you don't need to. When you cook just keep it covered and the heaviness of the stone will create the oven heat. Just as a curiosity, it is the same stone the Christ statue of Rio. More later, need to go for school run

Your Guardian Chef

Sorry another very important fact about soapstone, it does not react well on sudden changes of temperature. Let it cool off naturally. Don't put it in a hot oven. Let the heat build up with it.

I know you asked our help, but this process seems tortured, with all the photo & long distance aspects.
Is there possibly someone local you can consult, with the pot in hand?

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If I had someone close I would ask them. Could always take my pot to a cookware store but we just had 27 inches of snow and parking is next to impossible. Don't follow the thread if too awkward. I am finding it so helpful and appreciate all the comments.

Not objecting to the thread. Understand about the snow. Just wondered if someone knowledgeable could help by seeing it in person.

Your Guardian Chef

Meg, you can email me directly. You have a precious kitchen tool in your hand!!!!

Can't identify your pot, but just to correct one bit of misinformation here - soapstone isn't porous. One reason its become popular for kitchen counter tops (and was used in labs for years) is because being nonporous, it resists stains and bacteria doesn't grow in it. It's also why it doesn't require sealing and resealing, like marble/granite (just an occasional oiling to keep it pretty.) If you're interested, Vermont Soapstone's website has some good info - not about cooking pots, but some - like about caring for it - might be helpful: http://vermontsoapstone... (I don't work for them ;D Have just used it in several kitchens.)

Amysarah, if you are referring to my comment, I was referring to Korean Bibimbap bowls (not their true name, but it's what I use mine for) and not soapstone bowls. I am not sure what kind of stone is used, but levels of arsenic etc. we're found which is why I chose a glazed version. This was early on in the convo before soapstone was brought up. Just clearing up the misinformation you mentioned.

No, Susan W, was referring to something Guardian Chef's mentioned. (I just skimmed this thread - actually, didn't even see your comment.)

Oh good..just didn't want anyone to rush out and buy the stone pots I'm referring to until they look into the claims. Apparently, these pots are/were made from a porous stone.

Your Guardian Chef

Thank you Amy, I did not know. I was told not to wash with soap, I wonder why?
Here I found a pdf download with instruction how to use it and cure it.
www.soapstones.com/pdf...

No idea. Again, I only have experience with soapstone as a building material - I'm just guessing it's the same kind of soapstone...I'd listen to the experts! ;)

That said, besides looking lovely, it's often used for counters exactly because, compared to many stones, it's pretty impervious - to staining and burn marks. And easier to maintain - non-reactive with acid/typical kitchen soaps...actually, they make great looking sinks with it too. But oiling it does give it that nice, dark sheen - maybe it has some other purpose for a pot too.... Sorry that's pretty much all I know about soapstone! The pots are interesting though....

cookbookchick

I'm noticing that some comments, like the photos, aren't always appearing here. This might be because the Hotline app is wonky and no longer being supported, if that's what some of us are using. Anyway, Meg, I think it was you who mentioned Broadway Panhandler. Have you seen the news that they're closing this spring? NYTimes ran a story.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Yes. I have only been there once but always felt confident knowing that it was around.

Your Guardian Chef

I have been using soapstone for the last 4 years, the pizza stone and the pot. With the pot I make delicious stews: Irish stew, lentils, ratatouille, minestrone....With the heavy top, the food is locked inside and the flavour retained and enhanced. Never washed with soap and always cleaned with oil before storing it to keep it moist. I was told to do so by a Brazilian lady, I don't know why but it works fantastically well.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Hi, made delicious Boston baked beans in my soapstone pot. Thanks to all!

I really kind of want one now. I looked on Amazon for fun and they have none. That's pretty rare. I'll have to take a look on eBay.

Your Guardian Chef

Very difficult to find, I got mine in Brazil. May be FOOD52 should think about selling them. Soapstone pot and pizza stone would fit perfectly in a "Babette Feast" type of kitchen, #2 in the Best Movie Kitchen
https://food52.com/blog...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Original Soapstone of Vermont, Uncommon Goods and Viva Terra all sell soapstone pots and pans.

cookbookchick

Kaufmann Mercantile has some, too.

Benedikt

2 things you should watch out for. ARSEN and LEAD. both are used in CHEAP kitchenware. so if you are not sure it comes from a reputable dealer, make enquiries. i do not know where you live, but there are customer organisations in the yellow pages or on the Internet who can help you.

henandchicks

Tests to ascertain the lead content of your item are easily available online and in shops. They are not expensive or hard to use. It looks like a nice pot, but it can't hurt to be careful, either. (When they are being kind my nears and dears call my Captain Safety Pants...less kind moments I am called Killjoy)

Your Guardian Chef

Soapstone is a metamorphic stone, like marble, and the pot is carved in it. Any other components are the handles. It was used for cooking already by the Native American. It is not cheap, unfortunately.