[ food analysis ] -- anyone highly knowledgeable and experienced in food that can recommend best sites for science-based food questions?

for example,

whole durum wheat = not safe to eat raw

there's toxins in it, which you likely know or have experienced, or have researched

so that's safety reason for why you have to cook it

---

for both whole durum wheat pasta

and for semolina pasta

* what is the minimum cook time (about) that makes each of these pasta technically cooked, and thereby safe?

question applies more to whole durum wheat

dunno if semolina is safe to eat raw or not

all else equal, same pot, same amount, same stove, etc. etc. etc.

---

asked by designparadise over 1 year ago

Grains are generally cooked until "al dente" because they are more palatable that way, not because of toxicity. But it's not common to eat wheat or other grains raw in any case. Having said that, Nancy provides a thorough answer to assessing popular diet and toxicity claims.

Stephanie B.

If worse comes to worst, you can always try to find primary research on your questions on PubMed.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I like using Research University websites for food science questions. An example would be University of California, Davis - or any in the UC system. However, any U.S. public University, especially those with agricultural programs, might be helpful in answering these sort of questions.

Shannon Skinner

you shouldn't be eating any flour raw... why would you eat it raw??? I suggest the library if you want to know about flours. About eating it raw, talk to your doctor.

Heidi Lee Hoerman

Here's an article that cites a good number of scientists explaining why the FDA has issued a warning about consuming raw flour. https://www.livescience.com/55336-why-uncooked-flour-can-make-you-sick.html

The issue that provoked the warning is the danger that flour, which comes from a filed crop, may become contaminated by E.coli just as other field crops are.

Heidi Lee Hoerman

oops. field crop not filed crop.

Serious Eats has all the scientific info! BB

designparadise

* 2 most helpful content from that source if you said they have 'all the scientific info'?