A question about a recipe: Laurie Colwin's Creamed Spinach

A4ba8fa0 76cb 488f b19c 6bcb985ec8aa  2015 1215 creamed spinach jalepeno peppers mark weinberg 552

I have a question about the recipe "Laurie Colwin's Creamed Spinach" from Genius Recipes. Would two 10 ounce packages of chopped spinach work or does it need to be leaf spinach? Since you chop up the spinach after cooking, thought I would skip a step if possible.

asked by NotTooSweet almost 3 years ago

Sure, well drained (really wring that water out of it.) I've made creamed spinach and spinach gratins many times with frozen chopped spinach.

NotTooSweet

Thanks amysarah! My main concern was about volume of spinach - but I guess it would be pretty close regardless of which type I use. I'll wring the heck out of it and I'm sure it will be great.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I was just looking at this recipe (you had me at "Laurie Colwin") and it just calls for two packages of frozen spinach - nothing further is specified (leaf v. chopped), so I think you're good to go.

NotTooSweet

Thanks Diana B! I saw that the spinach was to be chopped after cooking which is why I assumed they were calling for leaf. However, I'm sure it will be fine to use the chopped and just wring the water out really well as amysarah suggested above. Thanks so much for the advice - love Food52!