A question about a recipe: Homemade Takeout: Orange Chicken

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Takeout: Orange Chicken " from Kendra Vaculin. I don't have plain sesame oil, but I always have the toasted kind on hand. Will that be too overpowering in this dish?

• Posted by: Megan
  • February 5, 2016
5d53d3bc 6dfe 4b6b 86c3 fe6499a50a63  2015 1103 make orange chicken at home linda xiao 0335
Recipe question for: Homemade Takeout: Orange Chicken

Susan W February 5, 2016

Are you speaking of the 1/4 tsp? I will go out on a limb and say I am almost positive Kendra is referring to toasted.

702551
702551 February 6, 2016

Yeah, plain sesame oil is nearly flavorless.

The sesame oil here is a condiment, a flavoring, hence the toasted version would be called for.

I only keep toasted sesame oil at home, not the plain kind. I treat it as a flavoring oil. If I sauté something that I want to have the sesame oil flavor, I typically use peanut oil and add a little bit of the sesame oil at the end as a flavoring agent.

That's what Kendra appears to be doing here.

702551
702551 February 6, 2016

That said, it's your call.

I know what chicken breasts are like, and I have a good idea of what 1/4 tsp. of toasted sesame oil will do to a dish because I've used both ingredients many, many times.

If you are really apprehensive, you are free to measure out 1/4 tsp. of toasted sesame oil and add this drop by drop to the dish until it reaches your desired flavoring level.

In the end, you're the one who is going to eat this, not us.

Megan
Megan February 6, 2016

Thanks! I only keep toasted sesame oil at home, too...but for as much cooing as I do, I always worry with a new recipe. Though I don't know why I thought Kendra would even bother using the plain kind...makes less sense the more that I think about it.

Susan W February 6, 2016

Do report back on how it turns out. The Panda Express orange chicken is my guilty pleasure.

Megan
Megan February 6, 2016

This turned out GREAT! Their orange chicken is one of my major guilty pleasure foods too...this recipe is an excellent dupe for that near-sickly sweet (in the best way) deep orange flavor. And it is so easy to make! Thanks again for the quick responses regarding the toasted sesame oil. It definitely didn't overpower anything. Now I have to go devour the leftovers...

Susan W February 7, 2016

Sounds like a fun recipe. I'll be making it very soon!!