Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Baked Ricotta and Smoked Salmon Dumplings in Gyoza skin

0c825fd8 22a8 4f93 90f6 8a6910806f27  unspecified 1

I have a question about the recipe "Baked Ricotta and Smoked Salmon Dumplings in Gyoza skin" from JIN. I asked the lady at the Chinese grocery store (all I had nearby) which skins to buy for gyoza and she pointed me to the potsticker skins which are much thicker than won ton skins - do you think I should run out to get won ton skins? Also, gyoza skins are typically round - and the photo here is square. Tx!

asked by Maia 10 months ago
66f62bef cb8f 49f0 b992 52298e0431ce  fb avatar
JIN

Hi Maia. I recommened using gyoza or wonton skins. Thicker skin will needlonger to cook, and would not be as delicate and crispy as original recipe. I used round gyoza skin, you can see the photos I took if you click the arrow. Photo of square ones were taken by Food 52 community. :-) I also have a friend who used square wonton skins and it worked out fine I hear. So you can use any. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions, enjoy!

Thanks, Jin. I doubled the recipe and one batch was wonton (thin, square) and one batch was potsticker (thick, round) based on what my local Whole Foods and Chinese market had in stock - so we had a potsticker / wonton "show down" :) I also made half the batch with the wonton skins where you bring the four corners together (sealed with water) and baked them in a mini muffin tin to keep their shape. Those were good if you like a one-bite appetizer with more filling to wrapper ratio. I also made some of the wontons as triangles. The potstickers ended up more chewy - but easier to press the fork tines into. I think most people preferred the wonton skins as they were crispier. Everyone said the lemon really added a nice zing.

JIN

Great! I am glad you had fun :-)