chilling time for doubling dough recipe

If I've doubled the dough recipe do I need to double the chilling time? The original recipe for galette dough called for 3 hours of chilling. If I should allow more time I'll have to use the freezer - how long would you recommend?

• Posted by: rocombo
  • February 13, 2016

Susan W February 13, 2016

If the dough is in two discs or portions, then no, just the 3 hours will be enough. Even if it's in one large disc, I don't think it will take much longer to chill it. Maybe add an hour to be safe.

rocombo
rocombo February 14, 2016

Thank you. I saw your advice last night and popped the dough into the freezer for 20 minutes. Definitely had an upper body workout rolling out to 1/4" thickness but it was fine in the end.

Smaug February 13, 2016

Chilling times are pretty up in the air anyway, but if the thickness of your dough is the same the time will be the same. If your kitchen isn't too hot and you handle the dough carefully, 20 min. is usually quite adequate- marble rolling slabs can help too. You should probably follow your recipe, however- give it the three hours.

rocombo
rocombo February 14, 2016

I think thickness of the dough is a factor. The three hours was enough. Thank you!

Smaug February 14, 2016

Thickness of the dough is really the only factor, unless you're doing enough mass to challenge your refrigerator- which would be a LOT.

702551
702551 February 13, 2016

Cut dough from doubled recipe in half, chill normally.

rocombo
rocombo February 14, 2016

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you! I thought of that after I'd already been chilling it as one piece.

Smaug February 14, 2016

It really shouldn't make a noticeable difference as far as chilling, but presumably you were planning to divide the dough anyway.