Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Can i use a recipe for 8-inch layer cake to actually make a 4.5-inch layer cake and pour remaining batter into cupcake tins?

I know to adjust cooking time for the smaller cake pans (and then for the cupcakes as well). What i'm asking is if I need to change anything about the ratio of ingredients? Can I just prepare the batter for the 8-inch layer cake as stated and pour it into whatever smaller size cake pans I want? My plan is to make a 4.5-inch layer cake, and then just pour remaining batter into however many cupcakes it fits. (This weird plan is actually for a baby's "smash" cake, then figured I'd just have some leftover cupcakes for us parents!).

asked by Bee42 10 months ago
8b068ff0 4e16 44e7 a1b3 b65967ac2d2b  img 2363

That would work fine - I frequently use a recipe for an 8-inch layer cake and make it into either cupcakes or with smaller cake pans. Just make sure to test the cake and cupcakes separately to make sure they are done - I have sometimes cooked my smaller cakes too little and they have fallen apart when they come out of the pan. Have fun!

If you're making a whole recipe, no need to adjust ingredients.

PS For those of us who not in the know, what is a smash cake...

Thanks, for the tip and reassurance, Nancy! Smash cake is certainly not a culinary/baking term! :) Kindof silly actually, but a smash cake is a whole, tiny cake just for the baby on their first birthday, so that they can dig in, explore, eat and basically "smash" the cake themselves.

Then you can have a separate cake or dessert for others. But the baby gets their whole own decorated cake. It's really just for cute pictures and such I guess (in my case, I love to bake and own the 4.5-inch cake pans already, so I figured why not - and i'm totally going to eat the smashed scraps anyway, ha!).

Thanks for definition, Bee - sounds oh so cute :) - happy birthday to all!