cornbread with sweetened condensed milk

I have a (6oz) martha white pack of yellow cornbread that calls for 2/3 cup milk and 1 egg slightly beaten is it possible to add some sweetened condensed milk without replacing milk though? I'm looking for a creamy, sort of thick and sweet cornbread.

• Posted by: alexis
  • March 8, 2016

Flirty Foodie
Flirty Foodie March 8, 2016

It's obviously not the same thing, but I would go with half condensed milk/half water as a close enough sweeten substitute.

ChefJune March 8, 2016

The mix is quite sweet to start with. I can tell you for my tastes, using sweetened condensed milk would make it far too sweet. As well, if you ADD sweetened condensed milk along with the liquid that is called for, I don't think you will get a thick cornbread at all - rather all that liquid will result in a thin batter.

Amy
Amy March 8, 2016

I had Texas Corn Bread once...it was a Jiffy mix incorporated with a Jiffy yellow cake mix (following mixing/baking directions on the cornbread box, not the cake box). No joke...it was cake like with a corn bread flavor. Very sweet, and very interesting. Perhaps that's more of what you were looking for.

amysarah March 8, 2016

Sounds like you want a custard-y sweet cake/cornbread hybrid. Instead of trying to adapt a mix, maybe try this: https://food52.com/blog... I haven't made it, but it caught my eye (serving it with syrup as a breakfast thing seems optional.)

Sara Branscum
Sara Branscum March 8, 2016

Most cornbread mixes have enough sugar in the mix. Unless you want a cornbread that is not typically southern, omit the sweetened condensed milk.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 8, 2016

Here's my tactful response: Sweetened Condensed Milk in Cornbread Mix!!!?????
Yuck Ola.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 9, 2016

it bothered me that I didn't try to post something helpful, so now it occurs to me that maybe you would like the creamy heavier texture that comes from using canned cream of corn in your cornbread. that should do the trick.

Jessica Baker
Jessica Baker November 16, 2016

I usually make my cornbread with sweetened condensed milk. It turns out the same basic consistency, but moist and slightly sweet. I use it in place of sugar. I put 1 can in a measuring pitcher and finish it off by adding the remainder of liquid called for in the form of water or milk. (If recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups liquid use scm+milk or water to equal 1 1/2 cups).