🔕 🔔

cornbread with sweetened condensed milk

I have a (6oz) martha white pack of yellow cornbread that calls for 2/3 cup milk and 1 egg slightly beaten is it possible to add some sweetened condensed milk without replacing milk though? I'm looking for a creamy, sort of thick and sweet cornbread.

asked by alexis over 1 year ago

59ceb8d1 c1b3 495b 9eea e96ea5981f6f  flirty foodie logo w o text low res

It's obviously not the same thing, but I would go with half condensed milk/half water as a close enough sweeten substitute.

The mix is quite sweet to start with. I can tell you for my tastes, using sweetened condensed milk would make it far too sweet. As well, if you ADD sweetened condensed milk along with the liquid that is called for, I don't think you will get a thick cornbread at all - rather all that liquid will result in a thin batter.

Amy

I had Texas Corn Bread once...it was a Jiffy mix incorporated with a Jiffy yellow cake mix (following mixing/baking directions on the cornbread box, not the cake box). No joke...it was cake like with a corn bread flavor. Very sweet, and very interesting. Perhaps that's more of what you were looking for.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Sounds like you want a custard-y sweet cake/cornbread hybrid. Instead of trying to adapt a mix, maybe try this: https://food52.com/blog... I haven't made it, but it caught my eye (serving it with syrup as a breakfast thing seems optional.)

Most cornbread mixes have enough sugar in the mix. Unless you want a cornbread that is not typically southern, omit the sweetened condensed milk.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Here's my tactful response: Sweetened Condensed Milk in Cornbread Mix!!!?????
Yuck Ola.

it bothered me that I didn't try to post something helpful, so now it occurs to me that maybe you would like the creamy heavier texture that comes from using canned cream of corn in your cornbread. that should do the trick.

25cf8a66 03cc 45d5 973e d41f725c735b  fb avatar

I usually make my cornbread with sweetened condensed milk. It turns out the same basic consistency, but moist and slightly sweet. I use it in place of sugar. I put 1 can in a measuring pitcher and finish it off by adding the remainder of liquid called for in the form of water or milk. (If recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups liquid use scm+milk or water to equal 1 1/2 cups).