A question about a recipe: Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu

222a0eef 4818 4b77 befe fa7fab3a9c66  2015 0428 vegetarian ma pa tofu mark weinberg 0176

I have a question about the recipe "Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu" from Kendra Vaculin. Would you add sichuan peppercorn to this recipe? If so, how much would you recommend?

asked by Sasha over 2 years ago

Ben McCulloch

Probably not but depends on how hot your spicy bean paste is. That is the ingredient that you will get the traditional heat from. It goes by several names but Dou ban jiang is what it is called in Chinese. Depending on the brand determines its heat and salt profile. Here is a link all about it http://www.vietworldkitchen...

Cav
Cav

I've never known Mapo Dofu without Sichuan Peppercorns. So yes. I'd add about two table spoons worth. Also some roasted chilli oil to finish, and scallion greens instead of chives.

LE BEC FIN

sichuan peppercorns have a completely unique flavor profile. afaik, they ARE what makes the dish what it is. make them your primary source of heat and add chili paste as needed to get the dish to the right spicy level for you.

The "ma" in Ma Po means "numb". I have never had it without Sichuan pepper. I sometimes use both green and red. It's Kendra's recipe and it could be she doesn't care for them. I also wouldn't have it without ground pork, but again, that's me and I'm the opposite of a vegetarian.

Here is my favorite recipe for it. I make a close version of it quite often. You could easily adapt the spices to add to Kendra's recipe.
http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/03/ma-po-tofu-real-deal/

Sasha

I actually ended up making thewoksoflife recipe, just cut the sichuan peppercorn level. thanks!

That's awesome. I usually cut back a little too. I like the numbing effect, but don't like too much of the fruity flavor that I detect. LOVE Woks Of Life recipes.

James Felder

I've been making the Fuchsia Dunlop version for years - she advises 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon.