Do I need to adjust baking temp and time if the cake pan I'm using is 10" in diameter while the recipe is for cake pans that are 8" in diameter?

The recipe I am using for a chocolate cake yields two round cake layers that are 8" in diameter. I am using this recipe for a round layer cake that will be 10" in diameter, however. Do I need to adjust the temperature? I'm assuming I need to add to the baking time? Thank you!

asked by Christina Hap over 2 years ago

Shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that no two ovens are calibrated to exactly the same heat anyway. It's done when it's done. Test by sticking a toothpick in the center. It should come away clean.

Christina Hap

Thank you!

The 10" will be a bit deeper, so will take a bit longer. Hard to tell exactly- too many variables- but I'd give it about +4-5 min. and then start testing.

@Smaug, not necessarily, it might be the same height as the 8" pan, but it would theoretically take longer for the heat to reach the center of the pan (longer radius). I would keep the temperature the same, and watch carefully after the halfway mark, expecting it to take a few minutes longer for the cake to be done. Like @pierino wrote above, no two ovens heat the same way and it's done when its done. Professional chefs don't usually use timers. Smell is the best indication that something is cooked or close to it. First time through though, start watching it halfway through and check when it looks and smells like it's done.

Christina Hap

Thanks!

The 10" pan has less surface area than the 2 8", thus the cake will be deeper- this is basic arithmetic. The heat will reach the center much faster from the bottom and top-especially the top, since it's traveling much less distance and heat tends to rise. The radius won't be a significant factor except in extreme cases where its nearing the sidews of the oven.

...especially the BOTTOM- who's editing these things, anyway?

Christina Hap

It's ten 10" diameter... not 10" tall. Using the 10" diameter round cake pans instead of the 8" diameter will result in layers that are wider yet not as tall. I don't plan on doubling the recipe. So my question should have been worded, Do I need to increase the temp by lets say 25 degrees and decrease the cooking time?

Christina Hap

Thank you both for your input. I tried last night with just one batch of the batter and did not increase the baking temp. The baking time decreased by 10 or 15 minutes but cake came out perfectly!

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Christina, If I'm clear on what you're planning to do, you're using two 10" diameter cake pans instead of two 8" diameter pans. If that's correct, the 10" pans will, as you point out, be thinner layers than the 8" pans would yield, assuming the same recipe quantities are used. So...the 10" pans should take slightly less time to bake than the 8" due to the decrease in thickness - just check it earlier than you might normally do. I would definitely not increase the temperature, though.

Looking back at the OP that does seem to be what she means- at any rate it says "10" layer cake"- I suppose we can presume two layers.

Howsomever, the 2 10" will have roughly 65% more surface area than the 2 8", which could effect the way it bakes rather radically,while 2 8" will be 28% more than the 1 10"- You'd almost certainly do better to make 1 10" layer and split it.

Christina Hap

Thanks for your help. This is exactly what happened. Did not change baking temp, but baking time did decrease by 10 or 15 minutes. Cakes came out perfectly!

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Glad it worked out for you!

You may be taking a chance if you are not increasing the recipe. It's important to consider the volume of the pans, not just the diameter. According to Susan G. Purdy the author of A Piece of Cake, an 8" round pan takes about 2 cups batter, a 10" round takes 4-1/2 to 6 cups batter, more than double; You will find your layers very thin. You may end up with burnt or dry edges (don't raise the temperature!) or an unpleasant texture or uneven rise. Is there a reason you don't want to double the recipe? Why not double the recipe, fill one pan, and slice it horizontally in half to make 2 layers?

Christina Hap

Hi, thank you for your input. I did originally try doubling the recipe and the cake was way too moist and did not hold. Could not even get it out of the pan. The amount of batter the recipe yields in just one batch was more than enough to fill the 10" round pan (I tried it last night). Did not raise the temp, but the baking time decreased by 10 or 15 minutes. Cakes came out perfectly. THanks for your help.

Christina, thanks for the update! It's interesting to know that the baking time actually decreased. Glad to know you had a perfect outcome!