Which appliance do you use when you have to blend or grind a small quantity of food - so not enough to work in the vitamix?

Sometimes I need to process or blend just one cup or less of ingredients and my vitamix doesn't work with this small quantity of food. I'm looking for a powerful but smaller version of my beloved blender for those needs, any idea??

asked by Valentina | The Blue Bride over 2 years ago

Panfusine

I use a Ninja Blender system and the smoothie attachment works great for small batches.

rt21

What about an immersion blender .... Some models come with a measuring cup and are perfect for small quantities , not as good as a vitamix but may work for you

I have a little electric coffee bean grinder that I use for grinding spices. Picked it up at a yard sale for $8 (!). Kinda looks like this, http://www.target.com/p...

Or I use my little mortar & pestle for the really small quantities (like ~2 TB).

For other foods beside spices, I just use my blender.

I use a sunbeam mini processor (about 1 cup-still available on ebay) sometimes, or a regular 5-6 cup mini processor, but they don't really grind the same way as a blender. My ancient but still good Osterizer came with small (1-2c.) blender jars, and I assume others do too, but I always found them pretty frustrating to use because you can't get in to stir easily. I'm curious as to what actually happens with the Vitamix- the Osterizer will blend very small quantities- you just need enough to cover the blade- but material sticking to the sides of the jar can be a problem.

My breville stick blender came with a small cup and an attachment to turn it into a mini processor. I love it for small amounts of ingredients. For spices, I use my 25 yo coffee grinder.

CanadaDan

My magic bullet is 5 years old and going strong. Cheap and reliable and great for grinding or mixing like salad dressings. My cuis hand blender also came with a great attachment that's designed to ground nuts but works great on everything else.

paseo

Buy the small (32) oz Vitamix container. Works just fine for smaller amounts.

Valentina | The Blue Bride

Even 1/2 cup of food?

paseo

I have not done that small of an amount, but it works fine for one cup. If one is often blending such small amounts and wants the smoothness of a blender rather than a grinder or small processor, I'd look into the single serve blenders as Anne recommends below.

I generally use my immersion blender for small amounts - or my spice grinder. Depends upon what the item is.

Anne

You'd be best to use a single-serve blender for small portions. They're perfect for whipping up ingredients for recipes or even smoothies for yourself. Check out this website: http://bestblenders.reviews... They have some helpful lists like best single-serve blenders and reviews on all kinds of different blenders. You can find all the information you need there :)

Valentina | The Blue Bride

E.g. I had to blend 1/2 avocado with basil and garlic for a sauce, so I need an appliance with really low blades :) I'm not interested in smoothies, maybe this info can help!

Mini prep. Small foot print on the counter top and has two buttons to pulse with reversible action. Super easy to clean.
It I use it for sauces, hummus, even to mix one 1 ball of pizza dough.
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

Actually, you can whip up a ripe avocado pretty well with a baloon whisk.