Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Do I need to press the tofu before step one in this recipe? Also, can I skip the shrimp paste?

Making this chicken tofu lahksa: https://food52.com/recipes...

asked by Megan 10 months ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I'd probably press the tofu, but the recipe clearly does not call for pressing. And I'd use the shrimp paste, but you'll get a good dish without it--note that the recipe writer snafu06 says to omit it if you use shrimp. There's a lot going on in the recipe, and you'll have a good result even if you can't follow it to the letter.

Cav

As a salty fermented fish product, Shrimp Paste can be subbed by Fish Sauce. Omitting it in the presence of shrimp doesn't really make sense to me. It's like omitting soy sauce because a dish uses soy beans.

I'd also press the tofu. Mostly because I always press tofu. Best to do it when it dries after the boiling water bath.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.