A question about a recipe: Shakshuka Focaccia

5a147043 57d0 4bcf 840e c102b5e6937c  2016 0209 how to make shakshouka james ransom 076

I have a question about the recipe "Shakshuka Focaccia" from Ali Slagle. Any suggestion to swap out tomato paste?

asked by Jen Barkosky over 2 years ago

Just leave it out, it shouldn't affect the end result that much; it might be a tad less rich.

If you want, you could add a bit more canned tomato, but that's probably more of a hassle than just going to the store and buying a small can of tomato paste. Alternatively, you could use a 1/2 cup of ketchup, reduce it down by half, and use that as a sweeter substitute for the tomato paste, but again, that's more of a hassle than just going to the store.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Anyhow, good luck.

Jen Barkosky

Thanks!

Ali Slagle

You could totally leave it out—or use ketchup in its place.

Jen Barkosky

Thanks so much! My husband can't eat canned tomato or pastes so I'm always looking for an alternative. Leaving it out is probably just best. I'm looking forward to this one!