Basil is almost ready to be thrown out. Freeze leaves for future pesto or make pesto now?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery January 17, 2011

I like to make my pesto and then freeze it. If you leave out the parmesan, it will thaw in the microwave very easily and you can add the parmesan fresh to your dish. I freeze the pesto in an airtight container, with plastic wrap pressed down on its surface. It keeps well this way for about 2-3 months.

hardlikearmour January 17, 2011

frozen basil leaves turn black. make pesto now.

clairmarie
clairmarie January 17, 2011

Make pesto - we like to freeze it in ice cube trays with plastic wrap pressed down onto it. Once they're frozen, pop them out and put them into a freezer bag -- squeeze out all of the air and seal. The cubes aren't just great for a couple of plates of pasta, but they're the perfect seasoning to drop into a pot of minestrone at the last minute.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 17, 2011

you can make pesto now to freeze, or do as above and leave out the cheese. I sometimes put just the basil and olive oil in the food processor and freeze just that.

bella s.f.
bella s.f. January 17, 2011

Another vote for making the pesto and freezing it. Think of how easy it will be the next time you are in the mood for it. Open the freezer and there it will be.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ January 18, 2011

Make pesto. Go easy on the oil when you make it, put it in a freezer tub, and then float some oil on top. When it defrosts, stir it in, or whizzzz it quickly in the processor or blender. Fresh basil does not freeze well.

I have *heard* of people mincing fresh basil, filling ice cube tray wells with it, and then covering the mince with water and freezing. Then they dump the frozen cubes into soups and such, but I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for the success of doing that. But it's an option.....

stilltrying
stilltrying January 19, 2011

Basil freezes really well - does not turn black. It turns black in the fridge. I freeze large quantities from my garden every fall.