🔕 🔔

Copper River Salmon Is Here!!

I watched the first load of Copper River Salmon arrive in Seattle this morning. It's a great time of year!

How Will you cook your salmon? After many different methods, my favorite it to cook it on a cedar plank along with asparagus. What's new for me is a quick brine. CV, I hear your eyes rolling. It breaks down the outer fibers and seasons the salmon deeper than just salting. It also completely prevents the occasional and icky albumin leach.

I then do a quick marinade of olive oil, lemon zest (save the juice for the salad), garlic, salt, pepper and sometimes fresh herbs.

I get the soaked plank smoking on my gas grill over medium heat before I place the salmon on it. Ten minutes or so and the salmon is perfectly medium rare and slightly smokey.

I'd love to hear what others are doing with their salmon.

Here's the article on the quick brine. http://www.thekitchn.com...

asked over 1 year ago

favorite is grilled on aluminum with sides folded up or, second best, in oven. both marinated briefly and cooked in marin, sesame oil, soy, grated ginger and maybe bit of garlic. sometimes i throw in some honey or maple syrup too. just barely cook until lusciously moist and buttery soft. thanks for the alert!

I like the idea of the Asian flavors. I may fry the garlic and ginger slivers in oil to get them crunchy and brown the way Jean-Georges does for his fried rice.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I'm open to the idea of brining salmon. I brine prawns myself.

Copper River salmon is a bit spendy for me although I might consider some when the prices drop. I saw some of the Seattle news videos yesterday, very amusing.

My objection to wet brining isn't the technique itself, but what it does specifically to poultry. I'm perfectly fine wet brining pork and some seafood.

For fish, I usually salt well. The Japanese do this frequently when baking fish "shio yaki" (literally "salt bake"), usually going for a crispy skin.

Anyhow, enjoy the Copper River salmon run!

Now that you say that, I remember you mentioning brining prawns.

Expensive yes, but a once or twice a year treat for me.

This time of year I start grilling almost everything over burning wood charcoal. But another way I like salmon filet is en papillote; baked in parchment packages with lemon juice and fresh dill or tarragon. Sea salt and black pepper. I have some experiments I want to test also.

Be sure to share those experiments. I hate a hot kitchen, so I pretty much grill and slow cooker cook outdoors all year round.

I "cold poached" salmon last night following this Food Lab / Serious Eats method. Incredible! Also good on warm evenings -- as it was here -- because the heat on the burner is so low. Ridiculously easy; perfect for a weeknight evening. I made a quick tarragon mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and salad while the fish was poaching. Dinner in < 30 minutes. (Ours took only about 10 minutes to reach the correct internal temperature.) You could go a number of different ways with sauces / condiments. http://www.seriouseats... ;o)

Not sure I'll use the cold poached on the fleeting Copper River Salmon...it's gotten cold here in Oregon, but I will definitely try it with another variety. You didn't include the link, but chef Google will surely find it for me.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

It has gotten chilly. I've grilled out twice this season. Maybe next week it will warm up and I can grill salmon ....it had to done on cedar on the grill what a treat !

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Susan W, lucky you.
In one of my odd projects I had to translate in Italian 50 recipes from famous people. Many interesting recipes but one in particular is on my TO DO list: GRAVED LAX DILL CURED SALMON by Roger Moore (his wife is Swedish).

Backbone and sidebones are removed. The salmon is cut in two pieces lengthwise and rubbed with salt, sugar and peppercorn. Then he puts it in the fridge over night covered with dill spring and serve with gravlaxsas. I cannot disclose the entire recipe for copyright protection, but I am sure there are many similar on the web.

Yes, I've made Gravlax many times, but Copper River Salmon is way too expensive to buy that quantity. I think it would be incredible though.

Copper River Salmon is my favorite! I so look forward to this time of year. Cedar plank, on the outside grill. Don't do much to it at all, grilled it and squeeze lemon over it. The people at Whole Foods gave me instructions on how to make it and it was spot on! Love that store!

Yes, Whole Foods and New Seasons are both going to carry it. This will surprise you, but Hall Street Grill has done FABULOUS Copper River Salmon dishes over the years.

Hall Street was where I first enjoyed Copper River Salmon! I use to work near there and was our 'go to' restaurant.

While you were at Hall Street, I was at Jake's and Mccormick's. :)

Slow roasted salmon is my favorite -- 250 degree oven for about a half hour. It's perfection!

Definitely trying this.

even though pricey, i think this year i am going to try and freeze some in salted water and zip lock bags as i have done with fresh caught salmon (i once had about 20 pounds of oregon king salmon delivered by taxi after it was "lost" at the airport. had to take time off of work that morning) and it turns out great. it hasn't shown up at my costco yet.

What an awesome idea. I can't decide if I want to keep it a seasonal delicacy or try freezing it so that I can bust it out when out of season. I think I'll freeze 2 thick cut fillets. Not sure about freezing in the salt water though. My head is going back and forth on that.