Authentic Belgian Fries

An Open Inquiry/Question: Does the slogan "Authentic Belgian Fries" tell everything by itself?
That is fresh hand cut potatoes & fried twice?

asked by Laila Changezi about 2 years ago

To me it does. As long as you mean served with mayonnaise in a newspaper flute.

Laila Changezi

Thank you for reply. Exactly. I think, the slogan reveals the method behind the secret of great Belgian fries. We were in sort of dilemma, as most countries are becoming more nationalist oriented - would the "Belgian" word repulse or attract? I think, it's indirectly chained with a certain standard/quality.

The only thing I'd add is that it's Belgium fries, not Belgian. A Belgian is someone from Belgium, but just as California avocados are not Californian avocados, the same goes with the fries. The reason I know this is because I used to have a little dessert wholesale business and my purveyor of Belgium chocolate explained it to me.

Just like it's France fries, not French fries? (A little joke, not a manifesto.) But while Belgians are certainly the people, Belgian is also an adjective. I'd love to hear some more from the authorities, but I'd say that if you're importing the chocolate from Belgium, it's Belgium chocolate. If you're making the frites in the Belgian manner, they're Belgian fries.

Oh good point. However...California rolls..not Californian rolls. I'd love to get a definitive answer, but I doubt there is one. French fries don't actually originate in France. They are said to originate in Belgium. Now I'm just laughing.

There ain't no authorities; like any language, English belongs to the people who use it. "Rules" are merely attempts to generalize on what people have done in the past. Just as well; in fields, such as formal plant taxonomy, where there are rules and authorities, it seems to increase the confusion.

1071292522

You people are nitpicking language. You are free to do so, but it isn't really relevant when common usage trumps grammatical rules as it often does with American English.

Above all, American English is a fluid, constantly evolving thing. Thirty years ago, you might have railed when people used "party" as a verb. Guess what? You probably use it as a verb today because of common acceptance.

Forget about this linguistic micromanagement because ultimately it's not about what you think is right, it's about how prevalent the word is accepted/used by the general public, like "selfie" or "spin doctor."

It's a fun conversation. Chill

Sorry, cv, it was all in fun. And in fact it could be important to Laila Chagezi in her marketing her product. A little googling shows that lots of people find it just as interesting as we did. Just for starters, try Belgium beer vs. Belgian beer. Having lived in Belgium myself, I have a preference for the adjective Belgian. But there, of course, I didn't speak of of such things in English at all.

As for "spin doctor," the television series to watch is a Danish one, Borgen. Or should I have said a Denmark one?

Laila Changezi

Spot on, so well said. :)) True, it is very important in exactly described way. We have decided to go on board ---> Belgian style. The wordings: "Authentic Belgian fries" is just too long. Perhaps we still want to do it our way....

caninechef

Whether Belgian or Belgium, neither caries any connotation for me at all. I'm certainly not the most food savvy person around but I have been around for a fair length of time and have enough food interest to follow this site. Just offering an alternate perspective since the idea seems to be marketing.

Laila Changezi

Then it's my job to promote and further the slogan or fraise about the product through social platforms and by pitching it via images as well. Glad to read your input. Thanks.

Laila Changezi

Thanks to everyone for taking time to comment. Appreciate it. Will share a link or two later in the proces, if it's allowed here. Just to show the final touch. Food52 really helped me a lot in certain dipping sauces especially Japanese riceseasoning, kimchi, and other great condiments. Very inspirational indeed. Thumbs up!

Laila Changezi