A question about a recipe: Gianduia Semifreddo (Chocolate-Hazelnut Frozen Dessert)

8c655afd e97a 4343 b116 f8589c5e8993  semifreddo img 3983 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Gianduia Semifreddo (Chocolate-Hazelnut Frozen Dessert)" from Emiko. Does it matter if the egg whites for the Italian merengue are "aged" or at room temp?

asked by Stephanie B. about 2 years ago

Here's my guess: no.

Since the recipe makes no specific mention of "aged" or room temperature egg whites, my assumption is that the dish can be successfully executed with commonly available ingredients, like refrigerator-temperature eggs (separated).

Admittedly, I have not folllowed this particular recipe, but that would be my M.O. if I were to try.

Anyhow, good luck.

jessicamclement

If you want to "age" your egg whites quickly, and you have a microwave, you can zap them on defrost for 5-10 seconds. I typically put them in a ziplock bag for this process... but I imagine it could work in a normal bowl. It helps a lot for macarons ! (With regard to your recipe... I think the previous comment is great !)

Stephanie B.

Thanks for the tip for the egg whites, I'll definitely try that if I forget to plan ahead and age my egg whites next time I make macarons.

Daniel A. Stimler

Not sure if this recipe is different than any other semifreddo but we made one recently and did nothing special with the eggs, turned out fantastic.