A question about a recipe: Maialino's Olive Oil Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Maialino's Olive Oil Cake" from Genius Recipes. Is it possible to make the batter the night before and bake it the next day?

• Posted by: nga
  • June 6, 2016
2aae762e 345b 4799 9323 6c99f0c86576  olive oil cake genius desserts 3x2 james ransom 408
Recipe question for: Maialino's Olive Oil Cake

Susan W June 6, 2016

No, unfortunately the baking powder and soda would poop out if not mixed and baked immediately. It's a very quick batter to put together, so you would only be saving yourself a few minutes. You could whisk the dry ingredients together and let it sit, covered. You could also mix the wet ingredients and refrigerate overnight. The next day, combine the two and off you go. You could even prepare the pan the night before.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon June 7, 2016

Yes, I have tested many olive oil cake batters and they all bake into a cake the next day. They rise differently - which is not to say better or worse, just different. And the cake will need more time to bake in the oven, v=because the batter will start off cold.

Most people will tell you that all batters need to be prepared same day. Bakery bakers will tell you this is not true: bakeries would not exist if it were!